Media Release – All Hawke’s Bay power consumers to receive $240 dividend from HBPCTAugust 10, 2022
Media Release – Power consumers urged to register this week for their dividend paymentNovember 7, 2022
Register NOW 2022
“The dividend of $240 after tax will be paid to every power account holder in the Napier and Hastings regions of Hawke’s Bay, but only if they are registered for direct credit” said Ms Kirton.
The registration portal is open online at www.hbpct.co.nz from October 18, and power consumers need to register by Friday 18 November to receive payment direct to their nominated account from Friday 25 November.
“We encourage all power consumers, even those who registered last year, to head into the portal to check their bank and address details are correct,” said Ms Kirton. “If you haven’t yet registered, or if your bank account or address details have changed in the past 12 months, you will need to register your correct information to receive payment.” Over the next week every account holder will be contacted direct by email, text or post with instructions on how to register or check their registered details, as well as their unique 4- digit code.
To register for direct credit, consumers will need their:
- Unique 4-digit code
- ICP Number (found on your power bill)
- bank account details
Register or check your details click here
Following a significant drive last year, there are now 96% of power consumers registered for direct credit. “While it’s fantastic to see such a high percentage of customers registered, the Trust is doing all that we can to ensure the remaining 4% complete the process, so that all eligible account holders receive the dividend payment they are entitled to” Kirton said. “We also encourage consumers to look out for their whānau/family who may need help registering for direct credit, so they don’t miss out”.
The cut-off date for determining who is eligible for a payment was 30 September 2022. All those power consumers in Hawke’s Bay who are connected to Unison’s electricity network on that date will receive one payment per connection, with a maximum of three payments for any one customer.
“Every year there are a handful of customers affected by this date. Some customers commence a new connection a few days after the cut-off and therefore are not eligible to receive a payment. For others it works in their favour,” Kirton said. All information is available on the Trust website: www.hbpct.co.nz . For those who can’t get online, information and support to register is available on 0800 535 738.